Same Old Labor – Minns and Albanese Turn Their Backs on NSW
The NSW Opposition has slammed the Minns and Albanese Labor Governments for turning their backs on NSW and cutting major infrastructure projects that would improve safety and productivity.
Leader of the Opposition Mark Speakman said Chris Minns has failed to stand up to Anthony Albanese and the Federal Labor Government, who have taken the axe to a swathe of significant projects.
“Chris Minns must now confirm that his Government will find a way to fund these key projects,” Mr Speakman said.
Leader of the NSW Nationals Dugald Saunders said the regions will be hit hard by the cancellation of crucial projects like the upgrade to the Great Western Highway from Katoomba to Lithgow.
“The decision to axe this project, that would better connect Sydney with Western NSW, sends a very strong message to the regions,” Mr Saunders said.
“It is abundantly clear that our bush communities are not a priority for the Albanese and Minns Labor Governments, and as a result our important legacy infrastructure projects will come to a sudden stop and thousands of regional jobs will be lost.”
Shadow Minister for Infrastructure Natalie Ward said “Western Sydney commuters will be outraged that funding for two of their key road upgrades has been cut, placing a question mark on the future of Mulgoa Road Stage 2 and the M7-M12 Interchange”.
“These cuts mean more congestion, less productivity and more pain for commuters and businesses. It’s clear that Chris Minns has turned his back on Western Sydney after promising to invest in transport infrastructure.”
Shadow Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Sam Farraway said the move will impact residents, tourists and businesses.
“These significant upgrades are needed to provide a safer and more reliable journey for the thousands of residents, commuters and freight operators, including those who travel between Sydney and the Central West every single day,” Mr Farraway said.
“This decision is also going to significantly impact the ability to move goods and products out of the regions by road, which will not only make things more difficult but cause safety issues as well.”
Labor’s Cancelled Projects:
- Blaxland Road/Balaclava Road Intersection Improvements
- Bruxner Highway – Wollongbar to Goonellabah
- Commuter Car Park Upgrade – T1 North Shore, Northern and Western Line – Kingswood
- Commuter Car Park Upgrade – T1 North Shore, Northern and Western Line – St Marys
- Commuter Car Park Upgrade – Woy Woy
- Great Western Highway Upgrade – Katoomba to Lithgow – Construction of East and West Sections
- Gwydir Highway Improvements – Planning
- M7-M12 Interchange
- Mulgoa Road Stage 2
- Northern NSW Inland Port – Narrabri
- Oxley Highway Stage 2 – Planning
- Remembrance Driveway Corridor Upgrade – Camden Council
- Southern Connector Road, Jindabyne
- Sydney to Newcastle – Tuggerah-Wyong faster rail upgrade
- Toowoomba to Seymour – NSW – Moree Intermodal Overpass
- Werrington Arterial Stage 2 – Planning
- Western City Road Transport Network Development – Planning